A perfect treat for the season, Holiday Cocoa Star Cookies!
Now that Thanksgiving is over, its time to concentrate on Christmas. What better way to do that than with a Christmas Cookie Party, right!
My contribution to the party is these scrumptious and chocolaty Holiday Cocoa Star Cookies. These star cookies are the perfect dipping cookie or tea party cookie. A delicious cookie to eat while watching a Christmas movie. Trust me you can’t eat just one. My mom and dad have been here with me this week helping me with my broken arm. My mom loves dark chocolate and healthy and these star cookies fit the bill. We have a hard time not eating them all in one sitting, they are that good.
Don’t they look good? Believe me they are. Here’s a printable recipe, I know you’re going to want to have this one on hand.
A few tips in making these cookies. I used the Wilton Star 3 1/4″ and 2 3/8 Cookie Cutters. For the bittersweet chocolate, I use Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar. You can find it in the baking section of the grocery store by the chocolate chips. Don’t over work the dough, it will be dry, but they will turn out yummy. Just remember not to over cook them. Even if you don’t love dark chocolate, give these a try. They are just right on chocolaty goodness.
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ cup butter (softened)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375*
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa; set aside.
- On medium speed beat butter, sugar and salt until creamy; beat in egg yolk, corn syrup, extracts and melted chocolate.
- Mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- Divide dough into two balls. On a lightly floured surface roll out each ball ¼-inch thick.
- Use star-shaped cookie cutters to cut shapes and gently remove excess dough from around cutters.
- Slide cookies onto cookie sheet lined with Silpat or parchment paper, place in freezer.
- Reroll scraps and cut out stars and place in freezer.
- Freeze about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Bake about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Dust cooled baked cookies with powdered sugar.