Hi Friends! It’s Deanna from Gloriously Made. I’m contributing a yummy Fall treat today and I hope you enjoy it like we do. Have any of you been apple picking this fall?? If you have I am so super jealous! We don’t have any apple orchards down here in south TX and I am itching to go apple picking. When I do get to go, I imagine that after getting a basket full of apples (because if I went apple picking I also imagine carrying a cute basket with a metal handle you know the kind they sell at Michael’s) 😉 and then would run/skip home and make this Apple Pecan Coffee Cake. Then I’d get a blanket, coffee, and curl up on the couch with a book. All the while smelling this delicious cake baking in the oven.
But then I would quickly remember that I have two small children ages 3 & 5 and that I don’t get to do that anymore. Reality is that I’d get home with the apples and then probably catch the boys playing baseball with them in the living room. Or, find them bowling with them instead. Our adventure in making the cake would be messy and crazy. It would be loud and there would be some fighting over who got to stir last or who got to pour the batter into the pan. But our kitchen would be full of making memories together. I wouldn’t trade these moments for the above. I know I will have those days of “quiet” again and I will miss the chaos that comes with having a family of small children. It’s fun, crazy, and I love it!
Ok, enough about picking apples and sappy talk about my family! Are y’all ready for some apple greatness?? This is a Apple Pecan Coffee Cake that is de.lic.ous!! My husband and I enjoyed ours with some fresh brewed coffee this past weekend and it was perfect! I think we actually both ate a couple of pieces…
The cake as a whole is a perfect blend of flavors. You have the cake, which is the perfect amount of sweetness to go along with the sweet buttermilk icing drizzled over our freshly sauteed apples and pecans. Oh my! Greatness!! Another reason I love making this cake is because of it’s versatility. The cake part is very basic so you can top it with whatever fruit is in season. Blueberries, strawberries, plums or even jams. And if your a nut fan, but might not like pecans, then you could use almonds or walnuts instead.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp table salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1-2 cups peeled and diced apples
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2½ Tbsp buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, granulated sugar, and the 4 Tbsp of melted butter.
- Combine the two bowls of dry and wet ingredients.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch round baking pan.
- Sprinkle with pecans and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Shortly before the cake is done peel and dice your apples.
- Melt 2 Tbsp of butter in a pan. Saute the apples for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 3 Tbsp of sugar and 2 tsp of lemon juice. Cook apples for an additional 8 minutes or until they become golden in color.
- While your cake is in the oven and your apples are sauteing whisk together the powdered sugar and 2½ Tbsp of buttermilk.
- When your cake is done pull it out of the oven and let it cool for 10-20 minutes.
- Once it has cooled top with sauteed apples and drizzle with buttermilk icing.
More Glorious Recipes you might love:
I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend and will hop over to Gloriously Made to say hello!