Hi everyone! This is Kristin from Dizzy Busy and Hungry, back at Memories by the Mile for my monthly post. Today I am sharing a recipe that sort of created itself from odds and ends of ingredients that I had on hand. Many times when I ‘wing it’ like that, the results are less than stellar. But, I was in luck on this particular day, because this time the whole thing just came together and we ended up with a tasty and healthy dinner!
I had some whole grain rotini on hand, and while that was cooking in a pot of boiling water, I chopped up the various leftover raw veggies that I had on hand and roasted them. Then I whipped up a quick dressing with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a few other ingredients, and voila!
Note that I used nutritional yeast in the dish and also to sprinkle on top. If you are not familiar with nutritional yeast, first let me clarify that it is not like the yeast that is used to make bread rise! It comes in flakes, and has a cheesy flavor to it. It is also high in protein and B vitamins, so it is actually a great way to boost the nutritional value of a dish.
I used the nutritional yeast in this recipe like I would normally use Parmesan cheese. So feel free to substitute Parmesan cheese if you don’t have nutritional yeast handy, or simply don’t really want to try it. But if you are thinking of trying it, I definitely suggest giving it a shot with this recipe. My family loved this, and had no idea it wasn’t Parmesan cheese until I filled them in!
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 3 cups chopped asparagus
- 3 cups chopped bell pepper
- olive oil spray
- 1 (13.5 ounce) package whole grain rotini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place chopped vegetables on a baking sheet (or two, if needed), spray them lightly with olive oil spray, and sprinkle some salt and pepper over them.
- Place baking sheet(s) in the oven and roast the vegetables for about 20 minutes, until tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, cook the rotini according to package directions.
- Prepare the dressing by combining the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, scallions, and basil in a small bowl and set aside.
- When the veggies and rotini are done, combine them in a large bowl. Pour the dressing and toss to coat.
- Add the nutritional yeast flakes or Parmesan cheese and toss a bit more. Serve and sprinkle some additional over top if desired.
Thanks to all of you and to Wanda Ann for your hospitality today! It is always a pleasure to post on Memories by the Mile. I hope you will stop by my blog, Dizzy Busy and Hungry, and check out some of the other family-friendly recipes I have! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Google+.
Here are a few other recipes from Kristin…