Hi everyone! This is Kristin from Dizzy Busy and Hungry, back at Memories by the Mile for my monthly post. I hope you are all having a marvelous summer so far! I am definitely enjoying the longer days and nicer weather. I love the relaxing, slower pace of summer, so even when it starts to get hot and humid here, I don’t mind at all! OK well, I might mind it a little bit, but then I just crank up the air a notch or two and I am good!
Speaking of hot, today I am sharing with you a recipe for Spicy Veggie Quinoa Curry. It is not super-hot, like an August afternoon in southern New Jersey, but it does have a nice little kick to it! Of course, you can dial the spiciness up or down depending on your family’s preferences. I try to keep it fairly mild for my family, especially for my younger son who seems to be allergic to flavor. Hopefully someday he will outgrow that, but in the meantime I try to not go too crazy with the spices!
Quinoa, of course, is really good for you. If you have not tried it yet, you really should! You can use it like you would use rice, but lots of people also use it in breakfast dishes, like you would oatmeal. It has a slight nutty taste, but the flavor is very mild and so it will take on the flavor of whatever you cook it in. This recipe is actually vegan, and while not all vegan recipes are good for you, this one really is! You can use this recipe as is and make it a side dish for 4 people or an entree for 2. Or you can double the recipe and serve it as an entree for 4 people.
I don’t know about you, but for me, the easier a recipe is, the more likely I am to make it on a regular basis. One tip to make this recipe really easy is to buy your veggies pre-cut. It costs a little more, but if it makes it more likely that I will serve healthier food to my family, then I am all for it. For this dish, I was able to find a package of red, green and yellow bell peppers already sliced into strips, and broccoli and cauliflower already cut into florets, so it was really easy to chop them up a little more for this dish. You can use whatever veggies you have on hand, so don’t be afraid to experiment! Also, I believe you can buy quinoa that is pre-rinsed. I admit it is a little bit of a pain to rinse the quinoa before cooking, so if that is stopping you from trying it, definitely look for the pre-rinsed version.
Recipe adapted from Vegangela.com.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 and ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons curry paste (more or less, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 cup diced bell pepper (use different colored peppers for colorful presentation!)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced broccoli and/or cauliflower
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- Mix together the quinoa, coconut milk, vegetable broth, curry paste, brown sugar, and Sriracha sauce in a pot over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer about 15 - 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender but not mushy.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat, then add the garlic, pepper, onion, and broccoli/cauliflower. Saute until vegetable begin to soften.
- When the veggies are almost done, add the spinach and stir until wilted.
- Combine the quinoa with the veggies and serve.
Thanks to all of you and to Wanda Ann for your hospitality today! It is always a pleasure to post on Memories by the Mile. I hope you will stop by my blog, Dizzy Busy and Hungry, and check out some of the other family-friendly recipes I have! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Google+.