What’s for dinner? How about…
Kielbasa Apple Caraway Sauerkraut Skillet Dinner!
When my kids were growing up they loved this meal. These flavors just go together. Something you might not know about me is I LOVE SAUERKRAUT!!! When I was in grade school one of my best friends Dad and Mom were from Germany. Her Dad made the BEST homemade sauerkraut. Oh my gosh, I LOVED IT! When we would have a sleep over I would ask for a bowl of his sauerkraut when everyone else was having cake or ice cream. Oh yes, it was that good. It tasted nothing like our American sauerkraut. I’m not big on sausage or Kielbasa, but you add sauerkraut, apple, caraway seeds, and potatoes to it and it is delicious!
- 1 Kielbasa Ring
- 6 potatoes, sliced
- 1 medium onions, chopped
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 jar sauerkraut
- 1½ Tbs. caraway seed
- Peel and slice potatoes, chopped onions, peel and cut apple in squares pieces (I like to use Honey Crisp, you need a crisp apple).
- Cut the Kielbasa ring into about 1 inch lengths, on the diagonal and drain sauerkraut.
- Add about 3 Tbs. canola oil to heated skillet and saute onion.
- Add potatoes, season with salt and pepper, cook till all most done, about 15 minutes.
- Add the Kielbasa, apples, sauerkraut and caraway seeds.
- Cover and cook until Kielbasa and sauerkraut are heated through, about another 15 minutes.
This whole meal just takes about 30 minutes to make and you have a great meal the kids will love. If your husband’s like mine, its meat and potatoes, what’s not to love. My husband is not a sauerkraut person at all and he likes this skillet dinner. The potatoes, apples, and Kielbasa calms the sauerkraut down and it takes on a very good flavor. Give it a try, I think you’ll like it.
Now about the apples, I use Honey Crisp, but a crisp, kind of tart apple will do too. But back to the Honey Crisp, if you have never had one, you need to run right down to the nearest grocery store and get one. They are by far the BEST apple ever. Worth every penny, I promise.
Okay, now what’s for dinner? Let me know when you try my Kielbasa Apple Caraway Sauerkraut Skillet what you think. With its long name, you know it’s going to be good!
I’d love for you to join me at any of the social media sites below…
Here’s a couple other recipes you may enjoy…