Hi, I am so excited to be posting on Memories by the Mile today! My name is Kristin and I blog over at Dizzy Busy and Hungry, and I will be bringing a new recipe here to Wanda Ann’s blog every second Thursday of the month. I am a working mom with 2 wonderful teenage boys who are involved in lots of activities. So as you can imagine, we are extremely busy! Trying to balance everyone’s schedules and yet still cook healthy food for my family can be a challenge, so I started my blog to record some of my favorite recipes and share them with other busy families!
This dish is healthy and easy and so full of flavor. It provides lean protein and lots of crucial vitamins and nutrients. For ease of preparation, I used microwaveable packages of the quinoa/rice blend. Those packages are wonderful time-savers! However, you can use any type of rice or grain that you choose in this dish, instant or regular.
Shrimp and Broccoli Curry with Quinoa and Brown Rice
- 1 and 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages microwaveable brown rice and quinoa blend
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces frozen shrimp (raw, deveined, tail-off, no need to thaw)
- 2 teaspoons curry spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Lightly steam broccoli florets by placing in a bowl with 2 tablespoons water and microwave loosely covered for approximately 2 minutes on high. Set aside.
- Cook brown rice and quinoa blend according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry spice and salt to the skillet and continue to cook until the shrimp is almost done.
- Add the rice/quinoa blend, broccoli, and coconut milk to the skillet. Heat while stirring for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is hot and the shrimp is completely cooked.
Many thanks to Wanda Ann for her hospitality today! I hope you enjoyed this recipe and I look forward to coming back again next month!