Reuben Loaf is a great meal for Saint Patrick’s Day
But seriously it is good anytime of the year! You get corn beef and cabbage all in one. I got this recipe from one of my dearest friends, Annette Priddis, many years ago. I have made it for my family more times than I can count and it’s turned out every single time. Trust me if you love a good Reuben Sandwich, you will for sure love this Reuben Loaf!
- French Bread:
- 3 cups flour 4 tsp. sugar
- 1¼ cups hot water 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 pkg. yeast 1½ tsp. salt
- Ingredients for Reuben:
- Thousand Island Dressing 2 TBSP. melted butter
- 16 oz jar Sauerkraut (drained) Caraway seeds
- 1 lb. sliced Swiss cheese 1 lb. sliced corn beef
- For the French Bread:
- Add butter to hot water. Beat in 1 cup flour, salt, sugar, undissolved yeast. Beat in second and third cups of flour (with electric beaters), one at a time.
- Let dough rest 10 min, stir 100 strokes.
- Repeat this set 5 more times.
- Turn onto heavily floured board and mold into 1 large loaf.
- Cover and let rise till doubled.
- Now let's put the Reuben Loaf together...
- On the floured surface, roll out the dough.
- Spread a generous amount of Thousand Island Dressing in the center of the dough.
- Place a layer of meat down the center, a layer of cheese, then a layer of sauerkraut. I like to add a little more dressing at this point. (see photo 1)
- Make diagonal cuts down one side of the dough, then the other. Now your going to criss-cross these stripes over, fold the ends in. (see photo 2)
- Brush butter across the top and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake in 450* oven for 25-30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes then slice and serve.
You can also keep in touch with me at any of the following social media sites.
Here’s another favorite recipe you might enjoy…